31 Mar Improve your Life! in 2021
We are very excited to be rolling out the Life! program at SportsFit again in 2021.
The Life! program is a free Victorian lifestyle behaviour change program that helps reduce your risk of developing type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease.
Changing your lifestyle isn’t easy, especially on your own. Run by health professionals (Dietitian and Physiotherapist), the Life! program aims to give you the motivation, confidence and support needed to make and maintain positive changes and to live a healthier and more active lifestyle.
This approach has been shown to be more effective than taking medication and has a long-term positive effect on health. It has already has already helped over 65,000 Victorians take the first step to good health.
What does the Life! program involve?
- 1-on-1 Introduction Session
- 6 x 1-hour group sessions over a 12-month period
- Session 1: Overview
- Session 2 (Week 3): Healthy eating
- Session 3 (Week 5): Physical activity
- Session 4 (Week 7): Overall wellbeing skills and stress management
- Session 5 (4-months after Session 4): Progress update and managing setbacks
- Session 6 (12-months after Session 1): Review and how to find ongoing support
- The Life! program is currently delivered as an online group course
- You’ll also receive comprehensive resources to support you as you progress through the program
Who is it for?
To find out if you are eligible for the Life! program, complete this quick and easy ONLINE TEST HERE
You may be eligible for the Life! program if you:
- Are aged 18 years or over, and
- Score 12 or higher on the AUSDRISK test, and
- Have a BMI of 25 or higher (or BMI of 23 or higher if of Asian descent)
Alternatively, if you’re aged 18 years and over you may still be eligible if diagnosed with one or more of the following conditions:
- Heart disease or stroke
- Diabetes during pregnancy
- Kidney disease (stage 3 or more)
- High cholesterol
- High blood pressure
- Elevated blood glucose levels
- Polycystic ovary syndrome
Finally, you may be eligible if you are:
- Aged 45 years or over (OR 35 years or over if of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent) and have an Absolute Risk score of 10% or over when referred by a GP
- Absolute risk – absolute cardiovascular disease risk is a person’s probability of developing cardiovascular disease in the next five years, based on a range of risk factors
Who is the Life! program not suitable for?
Those with the following conditions are unfortunately not eligible to participate in the Life! program:
- Recent cardiovascular event (3-months) or hospitalization within 12-months
- Clinically active cancer
- Acute mental health status
- Participants who have previously enrolled in Life! group sessions
How do I book
If you meet the above criteria you are able to book in for Session 1 at the day and time that best suits you. This can be done by calling our friendly reception team at (03) 8840 8066 or ONLINE HERE
Facilitators will then be in contact to arrange an Introduction Session.