15 Feb Physio Rowing Assessment
Why should you consider a Physio rowing assessment?
Rowing is a largely endurance sport that requires many areas of fitness including leg strength and power, flexibility, balance, timing and coordination. An efficient stroke relies on flexibility through the hamstrings, hips and lower back as well as quadriceps and gluteal muscles along with good control through the core and shoulder girdle. Reduced strength and control through these areas can lead to inefficient force transmission to the oar resulting in reduced performance and also an increase in injury risk.
Acute injuries are very uncommon in rowing. Most injuries are overuse injuries which are brought on by poor technique, muscle imbalances and sometimes inappropriate training loads. With appropriate management, these injuries can often be avoided if deficiencies are addressed early.
At SportsFit we offer rowing assessments and injury prevention/management which is a vital part to success in the boat.
What does a rowing assessment involve?
Your one-hour session focuses on the following:
- Initial Assessment to discuss current and past injuries and training history
- Video analysis of ergo technique
- Detailed musculoskeletal examination to establish potential causes of injury
- Mutual goal setting to establish a program
- Hands on physiotherapy as required
- Guided exercise program (strength, flexibility, stability) to keep you in the boat, or get you back in the boat as soon as possible.
- Correct set up and technical advice on the rowing ergometer to maximise efficiency and minimise injury
- Direct communication with coaches and/or program directors regarding an athlete’s condition, if consent is given by the athlete.
Who is suitable for a rowing assessment?
Our assessments are suited for both new rowers and people who have been rowing for years. Particularly anyone who is a rower and;
-Wants to prevent rowing related injuries
-Has a history of rowing related injuries
-Improve their performance in the boat or on the ergo
-Set themselves up for a long and successful rowing career.
Why choose SportsFit?
Our physiotherapists Jodie Porter and Jessie Mayo are Rowing Australia preferred providers, and have the expert knowledge when it comes assessing and managing rowers. Rowing Australia preferred providers have undergone further training to advance their knowledge, while both Jodie Porter and Jessie Mayo are experienced rowers themselves, and will help to stay RowFit!