18 Dec Summer footwear tips from our Podiatrist
Keep cool this summer with the latest trends in quality summer sandals and footwear
Who would have thought that Birkenstock re-entered the fashion sandal scene a only a few years ago after being perceived as somewhat ugly!? Well Birkenstocks are here to stay this summer season and so are a couple of idyllic Australian-based (and New Zealand) brands.
Women (in particular) all over Melbourne have begun to trade in their flashy and flimsy sandals or thongs for podiatrist-rated brands such as Bared (Australian), Birkenstock (German), Frankie-4 (Australian) and Ziera (New Zealand) -just to name a few. It is a relief to be able to recommend summer footwear that is both fashion-savvy and good for the feet! And guys – there are plenty of options out there for you too!
Brands like the above are best known for quality and durability; you’re very unlikely to have a ‘blow-out’! Sandal options from these brands are great alternatives to wearing a closed-in shoe because they come with so many beneficial features such as:
- Medial and lateral arch support to maintain a functional foot position.
- Different widths to accommodate narrow through to wide feet.
- Cushioned midsole and outsole for increased shock absorption and comfort.
- Quality overlays (eg leather) to help regulate temperature and prevent sweaty, hot feet.
- They look GREAT, feel COMFY and are fashionably ACCEPTABLE!
So you no longer have to suffer foot/leg pain by wearing non-supportive slip-ons. Fantastic!
Hot tips from our podiatrist:
- Wear-in your new sandal just like a new orthotic, as it will be supportive and a little different to other types of sandals out there. I also suggest 1-hour on day one, 2-hours on day two, 3-hours on day three etc. By day seven your new sandals should be feeling great!
- If you are currently experiencing foot or lower leg pain seek podiatry advice first for specific advice and management. Unfortunately new shoes don’t fix everything!