27 Nov Our Dietitian recommends this summer recipe
As the weather changes, so too does the seasonal choices for fruits and vegetables. Eating seasonally has many of benefits, have a read through our Seasonal Eating for Winter Blog HERE if you are interested in learning more.
Some of the vegetables that are in season for summer include tomatoes, capsicum, corn, eggplant and zucchini. Check out our recipe for stuffed capsicums HERE for a delicious way to incorporate them into your day!
We are also able to enjoy fruits such as berries, grapes, cherries, mango, stone fruits (apricots, peaches, plums), as well as melons in their seasonal prime. Not only do these all make great snack options on a warm summer day, but they can be incorporated into a wide range of recipes to add some sweetness.
To incorporate one of the most delicious summer fruits into your day, why not give this Cherry Quinoa Salad with Lamb a try? It might even make the cut for a Christmas dish!
Cherry Quinoa Salad with Lamb – serves 4
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 lamb tenderloin fillets
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1½ cups pitted fresh cherries, cut in half
- 3 spring onions, thinly sliced
- ½ cup finely chopped parsley
- ½ cup finely chopped mint
- ½ cup toasted pistachios, coarsely chopped
- 200g Greek low fat feta
- 3 cups water
- Salt and pepper to season
- Combine water and quinoa in a saucepan and bring to the boil
- Reduce the heat to simmer, cover and cook quinoa for 15 minutes (or until grains are tender)
- Drain quinoa, then transfer to a large bowl. Set aside to cool
- Lightly coat the lamb fillets in 2 tablespoons of the oil. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper
- Heat chargrill pan over high heat, then cook lamb for roughly 6 minutes or until cooked to your preference
- Transfer lamb to plate and cover loosely with foil. Set aside to rest for 5 minutes
- Whisk remaining oil and lemon juice until combined, then add to quinoa. Mix through thoroughly
- Add remaining ingredients to bowl and toss well to combine
- Slice lamb and serve on top of salad
- Recipe: https://australiancherries.com.au/recipes-cherry-quinoa-salad-with-lamb